Sunday, November 6, 2011

Eating Disorder? Please Don't Assume....

So I have to say that weddings are one of the worst places that I feel out of place at being restricted to a gluten free diet.  I have had several experiences at wedding dinners that would either make a person want to hide under a table or say screw you to people that give you a weird look for not eating simply because you cannot eat anything that is being served.  Let me tell you about one of the most memorable experiences I have had at feeling like a complete loser at a wedding.  I was sitting at a table with my friends and family and dinner was served.  I graciously gave my plate to my husband (whom I knew would chow down an extra serving.)  I was sipping on my wonderful glass of wine when the girls at the table next to us took a glance at me and said to each other "Wow how rude!  She is not eating what they are serving at the wedding." The other girl then stated "She probably has an eating disorder, she obviously needs some help".   Hello, look at me!  Does it look like I have an eating disorder. Maybe you should take a look at yourself and your size zero! I took me all my might to stop myself from getting up and shoving my gluten filled plate of food down her throat.  I felt so out of place and let me tell you to this day there are always going to be times that I feel this way.  Thanksgiving, Christmas, work luncheons, parties, baby showers....the list goes on and on.  You somewhat get used to this feeling, but it never TRULY goes away.  And the hardest thing is when you want to socialize and go to, for example, a work party, and you don't eat, people will  always ask "Why aren't you eating?" .  And then you have to go into the long memorized info speech on Celiac Disease and what it means followed by the answer "No, its not an allergy and there is nothing I can take for it".  Luckily, most people that I am around on a daily basis know my story by now, which is fabulous.  A lot easier for me.....until that next wedding when I either have to smuggle some GF food into the wedding or drink my wine on an empty stomach....hmmm...let me think about that one....

No comments:

Post a Comment