Sunday, October 9, 2011

Ghosts, Pumpkins, and Bats-The Joy of Halloween


Yes, I will admit it, I LOVE Halloween! It is one of my holidays, and no, I am not a witch. With the rainy weekend almost behind me, I ventured into the GF baking realm today and made my annual GF sugar cookies in the shapes of your most common Halloween creatures. I loved the green color I made this year, I think it kind of gives a glow in the dark appearance to the cookie. My favorite recipe for GF sugar cookies is from one of my favorite GF recipie books, "Gluten Free 101: Easy, Basic Dishes Without Wheat", by Carol Fenster, Ph.D. I omit the lemon zest in the recipie, since I am not quite fond of lemon flavorings in my food. These cookies are just soft enough to enjoy, not too crunchy, and not too brittle. the frosting that I make is just your old fashioned powder sugar frosting made with powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk. I made a double batch, which at the end, gave me about 51 cookies of various shapes. Unfortunately, in a househould of a grown man, and very hungry and fast growing 3 year, and myself, those 51 cookies will not probably last very long.

No comments:

Post a Comment