Sunday, October 9, 2011

6 Years of Adjustment

6 years ago marked a time in my life when all things food changed. I know you are probably thinking that this was due to diabetes, weight loss, cholesterol, etc. But no, it was something called celiac disease. At this time, which would have been 2005, when you told a person of this disease, it was unheard of. You would have to explain what is it and give the same detailed explanation of what a gluten free diet entails (yes, this is the only cure). I can't complain considering it is a disease that is treatable, if you stick to a gluten free diet. And yet, of all places in the world, I live in Kansas, the wheat state of the USA. This would be like living in Wisconsin and not being able to eat cheese curds (For all my Wisconsin followers, you know what I am talking about).
After explaining celiac disease to everyone, the next question that is ALWAYS asked is "What happens if you do eat something with gluten in it?" And most of the time, I tell them that they would not want to know, for reason of not embarrassing myself or them. For those of you that have been around someone that is gluten intolerant and accidentally consumes it, you know what happens and you would understand why I say the above.
Over that last 6 years, I wonder how many times I have explained my disease. It has become ALOT easier as the years go on due to many GF foods that are available at your local Dillons grocery store. I have learned many new recipes and ways to prepare food, as well as handling celiacs in public places such as restaurants and even such events as weddings (which are the most awkward if you have celiacs). The popularity has even increased due to some unnamed celebrities that are "going gluten free".
The purpose of this blog is to talk about my everyday experiences with living gluten free and for people to ask questions. Everyday I have several people I know ask me for my input on celiac disease due to them having a newly diagnosed family member or they are thinking that they themselves may be gluten intolerant. So please ask away....
It is possible to be gluten free and happy, even if you do live in the wheat state.

No comments:

Post a Comment