Thursday, May 9, 2013

A Gluten Free Traveler

So I have to say...this girl was a little nervous about traveling in a while since being diagnosed with Celiac Disease. I am going to be out of my comfort zone of knowing where I can eat, where I can't , blah blah blah. My routine is thrown officially off of the norm to continue my lively gluten free adventures. The day came when I traveled for my job since being diagnosed. Thoughts racing through my head...betting everything I have that I will accidentally eat something that is contaminated and become ill and endure the airplane ride with a gluten filled stomach.

I ate at a WONDERFUL, must I say again WONDERFUL restaurant called Fogo de Chao in Indianapolis http://www.fogodechao.com/ Brazilian Steakhouse. After sitting down, I interviewed the waiter with great determination expecting a blank stare back at me. To my surprise, the waiter stated that everything on the menu was gluten free with the exception of just about three things. I jaw dropped open...and then the moment came..."Miss, the rolls that I just served to the table are actually gluten free, made from fava flour." Thud.....I think my jaw hit the floor hard at this point. I have never eaten so much in my entire life, as steak after steak was brought out in small helpings. Protein overload is what my body experienced.

For those of you who have no idea what I am talking about and for those of you that do can relate, it has been almost ten years since I have gone out to eat and have bread with my dinner. I actually felt like a norm.

Fogo de Chao is a chain with several locations across the country, even one here locally in Kansas City. I say it is a must for anyone with Celiac Disease.

On the trip back, we had a quick layover in Denver and as I was sprinting through the Denver airport out of the corner of my eye amongst all the other over priced airport cafes and restaurants  I see "Udi's Grill and Cafe". After coming to a dead stop, probably causing the people who were walking right behind me to curse at me, I took a quick left and was like a mosquito to light. I had a few GF chocolate chip cookies to tie my hunger over until my plane landed in Wichita. Again for those of you that don't know, Udi's makes in my opinion the best GF products in the market today. I  forgot Udi's was based out of Denver.

So bring on Indianapolis and Denver any day, I am ready for a new gluten free adventure...

No comments:

Post a Comment